Meetings

From Fliirt

Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

Project Meetings, virtual and in-person

Upcoming meeting

Agenda:

  • Search results for site: Should faculty and departments show up in those search results, or instead should the search "All Collections" only search downloadable content types of things (ie. pics, books, documents)?


Jan. 30, 2017: Virtual Meeting

Recording: http://recordings.flvc.org/NP/Wilhelmina/FLIIRTmeetings/2017_01_30_FLIIRTmtg.mp4

Agenda:

  • Recent changes to the software:
    • Overlay for logged in users on Person and Organization objects.
    • Instructions posted to this wiki regarding batch csv import for Person content model objects (ie. faculty). There's an Excel file linked there, and the columns from it show the info that will load.
      • For now, we're anticipating FLVC do the upload. That let's us check for any bugs in the import. Should be able to open this up for librarians to upload soon.
      • Right now, there's a single column for identifier. What FLVC has recommended is to use school email for identifier then use ORCID. It may be that the identifier column will split out into local identifier and ORCID identifiers.
    • Islandora Scholar Embargo
      • Different from IP Embargo.
        • FIG wiki has instructions on IP Embargo. All Islandora sites have had IP Embargo set up for years.
        • No instructions on the FIG wiki for Islandora Scholar Embargo. Instructions should go up on this FLIIRT wiki soon.
      • We enabled this functionality on FLIIRT institution test sites.
      • Users with this is a little bit different from normal user permissions. Normally, we have Annie Admin, Connie Colladmin, etc. Embargo administrator is a permission that overlays your user role.
  • Plan for spring semester: Institutions try to build out repositories on the test sites. Then, when ready move that over onto production sites. Hoping for weekly check ins, to keep things moving or do changes to the sites if needed.
  • Quick question on interest in CrossRef. Has CrossRef come up at your campus, and is it on anyone's radar?
  • Would a tour of forms in Islandora or a Q& A be useful?


Follow up notes:

  • Based on the questions regarding forms at Lee's meeting, here's background info on forms in Islandora, with links to get you started if you want to DIY.
  • If MODS has a field, but the form you are using does not let you edit or view that field, then that field will still stay intact. For example, a form that edits only name, author, date, will leave all other info in place. If it were used to edit an item with a description, the description would remain intact.
  • Forms in Islandora attach to a content model, but cannot be scoped to specific collections or to specific roles. In the past, there have been forms intended for specific collections, but that is set up by making the form, naming it with the collection name ie. "Full MODS form for the awesome newspaper collection", then enabling it across the whole site, using it while building out that collection, then disabling it.
  • (We plan to have faculty see a simple upload form, and never ever see the complicated forms. That's going to be a special case with some kind of extra programming needed to make the thing that only faculty see.)
  • If you want to experience the forms editing process, here are some resources:
    • An Islandora Sandbox is available at http://sandbox.islandora.ca/ . When you log in, you have access to the full permissions to edit forms on that site. First log in, then go to https://sandbox.islandora.ca/node/1#overlay=admin/islandora/xmlform . Then click to "Copy" a form, name it whatever you want, and then you can make edits on it. Then click to "Associate" and you can set up form associations. Then you can see your form when you go on the site and "Manage" the objects with content models that form is associated with.
    • FLVC's forms are available here: https://github.com/FLVC/fl_islandora_forms . You can download from github , then you can go to the sandbox at https://sandbox.islandora.ca/node/1#overlay=admin/islandora/xmlform and "Import" that form.
    • The point of this is to show that the forms are complicated. There's a part of the forms that involves making boxes on the screen for data entry, but then there is a part of the forms that involves translating that into XML requires that you know XPATH. In general, the best way to get started is to copy one of the forms, delete all but one field in it, and then make small changes to the remaining field, and check that you've done what you think you've done.
  • FLVC is not willing to grant permission to librarians to edit forms at this time.

Dec. 8, 2016: Virtual Meeting


The short agenda is we'll talk about priorities for next Spring.

Here's a detailed agenda:

  • Update on FLVC's central authentication: Something that must be delayed is faculty and student logins, using an existing campus login. I'll share what I know about timeframes for this central authentication project.


Things that aren't anticipated for Spring include:

  • Looking at form fields and determining what to bring over to the Full MODS form.
  • Batch import for Scholar Entities.
  • Look at Islandora Scholar Embargo (works differently from IP Embargo, which you already have).
  • Faculty/student logins to Islandora using their existing campus login.
  • ORCID integration (public API, full API).

Oct. 10, 2016: Virtual Meeting

Meeting info:

Agenda:

  • Feedback: Linking a Person Entity to a content object: Do you all like linking Person Entity MADS <identifier> to the MODS <name><nameIdentifier> field? Does that seem like a logical MODS field to use for linking?
  • Feedback: Linking a Person Entity to an Organization Entity: Do you all like linking Person Entity's affiliation (MADS <affiliation><organization>) to the department Organization Entity's name (MADS <authority><name type="corporate"><namePart>)?
  • Feedback: Linking an Organization Entity to an Organization Entity: Do you all like linking a child department Organization Entity's "Parent School/Faculty" (MADS <related type="parentOrg"><name type="corporate"><namePart>) to a parent department Organization Entity's name (MADS <authority><name type="corporate"><namePart>)?
  • FLVC will go over linking on department name versus trying to give departments an identifier and link on that identifier.
    • If an identifier scheme were used for departments, each campus would have to implement their own. FLVC would not assist in providing a controlled vocabulary.

Items for future discussion (likely there won't be time at this meeting):

  • Feedback: Do you all like how individual department profiles look right now on ir-test?
  • Feedback: Do you all like the different department browse screens?
  • Forms: What would a good form look like for faculty and students to use to do submissions?
  • Forms: Let's look at the Citation MODS Form and see whether any field from that are essential and should come over into the Full MODS Form. (FSU is using Islandora Scholar on the production site, and is using the same form with it.)

Notes:

  • We clicked through the instructions at https://fliirt.wiki.flvc.org/wiki/index.php/FL-Islandora_IR_Documentation to link department to department, scholar to department, and publication (content object) to scholar. The first 20 minutes of the recording is a click through.
    • From here on out, the instructions in old homework are deprecated. From now on, use instructions on the instructions page, because these are more polished and will be kept up-to-date.
  • Some differences from past projects: The ir-test site, right now, is arranged with collections holding Person Entities. The departments are all put into a single big collection. Tree browse of departments is done entirely on Solr indexing. Collections are never used to browse to departments, and for Entities, Collections are just kind of a place where Entities exist but aren't part of the display.
    • This feels unfamiliar.
    • Lydia raised that something for future discussion is looking at whether it's best to put all department Organization Entities into one big collection, or to chunk them up into separate collections.
  • reindexing:
    • When you click to save the metadata for a publication (content object), a Person Entity, or a department Organization Entity, the Solr indexing goes all the way up the chain up links, to parent department and grandparent department and greatgrandparent department, etc. If you go in and edit the grandparent department name, then you go into the parent department and edit it's parent department metadata field, that fixes the link so parent links to renamed grandparent. All the MODS updates are over and done after you save changes to child department. But, reindexing on Solr is needed to get the child department and all the scholars linked to the child department to have the correct Solr information and to be able to facet on the new grandparent name. FLVC has to look into how to handle reindexing. For now, email us and we'll reindex. In the future, we are thinking about giving you a button you can use to reindex children, grandchildren, and all the way down, so that when you change a department name, you can get the new name in all the facets across the whole site.
  • Linking Person Entity MADS <identifier> to the MODS <name><nameIdentifier> field is fine for universities.
    • Multiple universities were concerned with batch updating MODS in publications. Specifically, if universities built the repository using institutional email addresses as unique identifiers for people, enter those email addresses as <name><nameIdentifier type="local"> into the MODS for each publication, and then two years later the campus switches to ORCID. In that case, they want a way to batch update all publications for a single scholar at once, and not have to edit MODS for each publication.
      • Gail Lewis said that script for batch updating that single field is something that could be implemented down the road, and that seemed reasonable to want.
      • Wilhelmina stated that batch MODS updates is a separate issue, which ISG was recently considered, but which was not yet nailed down, and that it should not be assumed to apply to this situation. Wilhelmina said she would add this specific issue as a user story to the batch MODS updates, but it should not be assumed to be something that the separate project would provide.
  • Discussion of using department name as a string versus using departmental identifier to link departments.
    • FLVC shared this comparison chart of differences: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1S3kTWS2-Pe0wpRtrkQsEDZZKtTdFErixDmwpqdMDrz8/edit?usp=sharing
    • In the case of using departmental names, all names must be unique within an Islandora site (but two different universities can both have a "Department of Chemistry")
    • It is not possible to have some sites use departmental names and some sites use identifiers - this has to be a choice where all institutions go the same way.
    • FLIIRT decided matching on names is fine.

Follow Up:

  • FLVC will put current institutional repository functionality onto institutional test sites. Specifically, onto: fsu-test, fau-test, ucf-test, fgcu-test. We'll aim to do this by Oct. 17.
    • Warning: discoverygarden is possibly on our test servers this week, and we don't have an hourly schedule. If you go to use ir-test, and you get a message about "Red Hat linux", just try back in a few hours. If you can get to the site and see the Islandora install, then you hit a problem, please report any strange behavior on the site, so we can check it out.
  • All libraries should use the instructions at https://fliirt.wiki.flvc.org/wiki/index.php/FL-Islandora_IR_Documentation and send questions or feedback to help@flvc.org .

August 30, 2016: Virtual Meeting

Recording link: http://recordings.flvc.org/NP/Wilhelmina/FLIIRTmeetings/2016_08_30_FLIIRTmtg.mp4

Notes:

  • FLVC has done some development. FLVC demoed this on our internal development server. Libraries agreed to move these changes to the ir-test.digital.flvc.org site. As a follow up, FLVC will get these onto the ir-test site for libraries to look at closely and will post instructions on linking Person Entities to objects.
    • Entities is more configurable; Person Entities can be linked to all content models. FLVC demoed linking on the Person Entity MADS identifier to the MODS <name><nameidentifer> field. ORCID can be stored in MODS <name><nameidentifer type="orcid">. Other identifier systems can be stored in MODS <name><nameidentifier type="local">. It doesn't have to link on <name><nameidentifier>, and could instead link on a different field in MODS.
    • Changes to how Person Entities display. The look and feel is different for the profiles of individual scholars.
    • A browse of all departments exists. This is to recreate UPEI's departments page with a list of all departments.
    • Departments can now be nested. So, a department can have a "Parent Department" entered in metadata, and that can be used to make things like tree displays or browse interfaces. Prior to this, the only way to organize Person and content model objects was by grouping them in nested collections. Now, it can be possible to make an interface with nested departments.
  • Bryan at FSU talked about the submission workflow for faculty uploading items. Bryan is busy through December, so Devin Soper (FSU) will coordinate with the FLIIRT group regarding the user interface for a faculty/student/etc submission form. Lee Dotson (UCF) will organize regular meetings for librarians to talk about the user interface, and that's a good place to determine user interface issues.
  • Joanne (FAU) raised the issue of faceted search/browsing. What fields would be appropriate for this?
    • Could facets be used for departmental browsing? Gail Lewis (FLVC DoIT) replied that to have facets use the information about how departments are nested would be tricky. Having a list of all departments (including subdepartment and parent department and everything on a long list) would be straightforward.
    • Wilhelmina (FLVC FALSC) raised whether facets are standard across sites, and whether that's determined by the ISG. The ISG did determine that facets would be "As Standard as possible". Gail Lewis (FLVC DoIT) pointed out that several sites have customized facets.
    • A next step might be to determine what facets are appropriate for institutional repository content. Previously, the default facets were built around digital library materials, which is a different set of content with different needs.

Follow up:

  • FLVC will move the code changes over from the internal development server ( ir-dev ) to the test server ( ir-test ). FLVC will set up examples of linking Person entities to various content models, on nesting departments, and send an explanation of the changes.
  • FLVC will schedule regular meetings monthly for FLIIRT specific issues and for bringing librarians and developers together. These will be separate from meetings organized by Lee (UCF).

July 25-26, 2016: FL-Islandora IR Camp, Gainesville, FL

FL-Islandora IR Camp, July 25-26, 2016, FLVC Gainesville Office

IR Admins Discussion Group Meetings (3rd Wednesday of the month at 11am ET)

January 1, 2018

Recording: http://recordings.flvc.org/NP/Wilhelmina/FLIIRTmeetings/2018_01_17_FLIIRTmtg.mp4

October 18, 2017

Recording: http://recordings.flvc.org/NP/Wilhelmina/FLIIRTmeetings/2017_10_18_FLIIRTmtg.mp4

Tentative Agenda:

Notes:

September 20, 2017

Recording: http://recordings.flvc.org/NP/Wilhelmina/FLIIRTmeetings/2017_09_20_FLIIRTmtg.mp4

Agenda:

Notes:

August 16, 2017

  • The August call will include a test submission example of the FSU submission process - starting with a new submission as an author and following it through the submission workflow.

July 19, 2017, 11am

Recording: http://recordings.flvc.org/NP/Wilhelmina/FLIIRTmeetings/2017_07_19_FLIIRTmtg.mp4

Notes:

June 28, 2017, 11am

Recording: http://recordings.flvc.org/NP/Wilhelmina/FLIIRTmeetings/2017_06_28_FLIIRTmtg.mp4

Notes from the call:

May 31, 2017, 11am

Recording: http://recordings.flvc.org/NP/Wilhelmina/FLIIRTmeetings/2017_05_31_FLIIRTmtg.mp4

Notes from the call:

April 19, 2017, 11am

Recording: http://recordings.flvc.org/NP/Wilhelmina/FLIIRTmeetings/2017_04_19_FLIIRTmtg.mp4

Notes from the call:

For Schol Com Librarians – Create a mock-up of what you would like users to see. This doesn’t need to be fancy and can be done in Word or Google docs. It should convey the screen (or screens) you want users to see with basic layout, wording, and how you intend for users to navigate the options. If this can be done by the 4/19 meeting that would be great! If not, then we will review it during the May meeting.

  • No Schol Com librarians available for this call. Will view mock-ups of their permission form(s) at the May meeting.

Discussion of pdf content model and thesis content model features (alt-metrics, view/download counts).

  • Wilhelmina shared demo of the views/downloads icons on test. Thanks to Bryan for working on this feature.
  • View and download info is available on the full description tab in test for the pdf content model.
  • It will show any previously stored view/download info. There’s also a secret way to frontload views/downloads from other systems into the display too, if that’s a thing you want to do.
  • Can it be implemented on other content models? There are some questions to answer regarding use and display.
  • FSU production already has Altmetrics, but it only shows if the file actually has a DOI in it and there is at least 1 Altmetric hit. Example: diginole.lib.fsu.edu/islandora/object/fsu%3A368803
  • Will bring up to ISG at next meeting

FAU and FGCU test IR sites are coming along nicely and have a good amount of content to share.

  • Wilhelmina and Gail Lewis provided demos and reviews of the sites and discussed outstanding issues.
  • FGCU has a full departmental tree and have batch loaded ~560 faculty members. FAU has loaded all departments and faculty.
  • All FLIIRT institutions have submitted their IP ranges. This will provide campus wide access to FLIIRT institutions rather than by specific IP address. Let Mina know if using the campus ranges is a problem. The FAU and FGCU sites should be open to the IR Admins group on Friday.
  • Discussion about storing all publications on the IR side in a folder; but also have the ability to tag content on the digital library side that may be relevant to a person or dept entity
  • Discussion about possible linked data features – FSU shared that Islandora 1.x isn't really capable of doing much with "linked data" in MODS records as is, but they are looking to use linked data vocabs like COAR resource types and SPAR publishing status ontology in their MODS records to create usable Solr facets.

For next month's IR Admins call we will have the Schol Com librarians show us screen mock-ups for permissions and review the thesis form. Let me know if you have any other agenda items.

April 5, 2017, 1pm

We had some great discussions on today’s call. Here’s a quick recap and accompanying action items:

  • We reviewed the notes for the permissions form at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IA1jqwlXmzYWL6SNvPr9HNGELg0sCUNs7L9JbHLdpzI/edit#
    • ACTION ITEM: For Schol Com Librarians – Create a mock-up of what you would like users to see. This doesn’t need to be fancy and can be done in Word or Google docs. It should convey the screen (or screens) you want users to see with basic layout, wording, and how you intend for users to navigate the options. If this can be done by the 4/19 meeting that would be great!  If not, then we will review it during the May meeting.
  • Discussion of pdf content model and thesis content model features (alt-metrics, view/download counts). Discussion of migration of ETDs from current Islandora collection to new collection in the IR portion.
    • ACTION ITEM: Wilhelmina will investigate and report back. Some of the issues will need to go through ISG at the appropriate time.
  • FAU and FGCU test IR sites are coming along nicely and have a good amount of content to share. Wilhelmina will see if Gail Lewis is available to attend the 4/19 meeting. The plan is to provide demos and reviews of the sites and discuss outstanding issues.
    • ACTION ITEM: Open up the FAU and FGCU sites to the IR Admins group.

Next meeting: 4/19 at 11am

January 18, 2017, 11am

Tentative Agenda:

This meeting will focus on finishing up the citation form and discussing the citation content model permissions click through.

  • Discussion of action items for FLVC request on open issues for forms:
    • Whether any of the fields in the Citation form is essential for librarians to enter and should be added to the Full MODS form.
    • List of Citation fields to add to Full MODS form
      • Responses to questions/inquiries from November’s call
    • The Citation content model has a permissions click through when the person uploads the PDF with rights information. Including rights info in the form may make them think about rights, and gives faculty an opportunity to provide the info up front (even if the library must verify it later). I wrote notes under the screenshot of this form: Perhaps permissions info should be in the submission form, and might be in the form of Creative Commons or rightsstatement.org .
  • Suggestions for next month’s agenda:
    • Discussion of action items for FLVC request on open issues for forms:
      • Begin discussion of thesis form fields
    • Other?

Notes:

November 21, 2016, 11am

Tentative Agenda:

This meeting will focus on the citation form. Time permitting we will begin discussing the citation content model permissions click through.

  • Discussion of action items for FLVC request on open issues for forms:
    • Whether any of the fields in the Citation form is essential for librarians to enter and should be added to the Full MODS form.
    • The Citation content model has a permissions click through when the person uploads the PDF with rights information. Including rights info in the form may make them think about rights, and gives faculty an opportunity to provide the info up front (even if the library must verify it later). I wrote notes under the screenshot of this form: Perhaps permissions info should be in the submission form, and might be in the form of Creative Commons or rightsstatement.org.
  • Suggestions for next month’s agenda:
    • Discussion of action items for FLVC request on open issues for forms:
      • Finish citation form
      • Citation Permissions form
      • Begin discussion of thesis form fields
    • Other?

Notes:

  • Recording: http://recordings.flvc.org/NP/Wilhelmina/FLIIRTmeetings/2016_11_21_FLIIRTmtg.mp4
  • Citation Form overview discussion:
    • Does it tie in to APIs? How? What?
    • FSU – clarify moving to Full MODS form – mapping so we have access to form builder
    • Now only 2 forms – Full MODS and Simple MODS
    • For library users – get all to Full MODS form
    • Pick fields to add to full MODS form
    • Will have separate form for faculty upload – That is a different conversation
    • Need to consider all fields needed for IR
    • Scholar – export of citation
    • Suggestion to check controlled vocabulary list
  • Default Citation Content Model Form review:
    • Title
    • Publication Type field
      • Mina was going to check on the list of publication types
      • Joanne suggested a drop down
    • Authors
      • Local NameIdentifier
      • Discussion regarding other IDs for possible use. Sai to send Mina a list of others (such as PubMed)
      • In Full MODS – role – MARC relator – can be entered. Should this be a dropdown?
    • Date issued
      • Qualifier – inferred
      • Language more specific to IR – what does date issued mean?
      • Change label to date published? Publication date
    • Publication Type vs Type of work
      • Publication Type – used in exported citation ex. Publication type = journal article
      • Type of work is saved to a different MODS field than publication type

October 17, 2016, 11am

Agenda:

  • Welcome and introductions – Lee
    • Name
    • Institution
    • Position
    • Your interest in these meetings
    • Your area(s) of expertise
  • Submission discussion – All (led by Lee)
    • Examples of submission forms – FSU, UCF, others?
    • FLVC Open Issues: default citation form, default thesis form, permissions form for pdf upload
    • Submission obstacles
    • Moderating (or not?) submissions
  • Action items to take to FLVC, Islandora Subgroup, DISC
  • Suggestions for next month’s agenda
Personal tools